9 Reasons why being a D&L volunteer is awesome…
…it’s really ok to ask “what’s in it for me?” when asked to donate your time!
- You are working to make your community a better place to Live/Work/Play.
- Try out a new interest, something you think you might like but maybe aren’t sure about yet.
- It’s good for you! Volunteering is healthy for both your body and mind.
- Gain professional experience that can help build your resume.
- Learn a new skill in a safe, friendly environment.
- Become an explorer, discover new places in your neighborhood or area.
- Change of scenery, use a skill that you don’t use in your everyday life.
- Give back to honor an organization that had an impact on your life, you may not even be aware of it!
- Meet new people! In real life! Face to face, not Facebook to Facebook!
If you want to give back, we suggest volunteering with the D&L. Our non-profit connects you to nature, culture, community, recreation and industrial heritage via the D&L Trail and the National Canal Museum. Stop by one of our Volunteer Kick Off events in March, where you can meet the D&L Staff and explore our variety of volunteer opportunities for all ages.
Volunteer Kick Off:
March 5th : Jim Thorpe Train Station | 10 am – 1 pm
March 12th: Hugh Moore Park in Easton | 10 am – 1 pm
Volunteer opportunities include, but are not limited to:
Trail Maintenance/Field Work: Trail Tenders, Trail Patrol, Canal structure maintenance, planting & gardening
National Canal Museum/Education: Docents, Field Trip educators, D&L Archives assistance
Administrative Support: Writing/editing, membership & mailing, cartography, grant writing
Social Media: Photography, experience sharing, original artwork, D&L Blog
Public Outreach: Event promotion, development, flyer & brochure making, marketing
Events: Get Your Tail on the Trail, Dinner Auction, Luncheons, National Trails Day
D&L Heritage Half Marathon: Runner’s packets, set up and clean up, water/food distribution, safety/parking
Post by: D&L Trail & Outreach Coordinator, Lauren Golden, (610) 923 – 3548 x227 or [email protected]
Contact Lauren for more information on volunteering with the D&L or on the D&L Kick Off Days Events on March 5 at the Jim Thorpe Train Station from 10 am – 1 pm and on March 12 at the National Canal Museum from 10 am to 1 pm. Come out to either of these events to learn more about the D&L, pick up a trail map, and find out how you can give back as a volunteer.