Lend us a hand! There are lots of ways you can help.
Sign up to become a volunteer today! A sign up form is located below; click on “Become a Volunteer Today.”
Volunteers are the strength of the D&L, doing everything from maintaining the trails to greeting visitors at the Canal Museum. Volunteers help us define our community-based mission while allowing them to showcase their talents. Our dedicated volunteers are an essential part in the D&L accomplishments and completion of projects to preserve our local history, which would otherwise not be possible. Involving the community is very important to our work and what makes it so meaningful.
If you would like to become a volunteer, please fill out and submit the online form below or download & complete the form and mail to us. For more information and questions, please contact Terri Monserrat at 610-923-3548 x224 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- National Canal Museum Docents: Enthusiastic, curious people who inspire visitors to enjoy our local history and exploring the wonders of science around them. These volunteers should be comfortable speaking with individuals and groups and be able to work on the exhibit floor for up to four consecutive hours.
- Volunteer Staff Associates: People who work in the D&L’s offices on a variety of tasks – including sorting and counting materials, copying, fulfilling mailing programs, and more. These volunteers should be able to execute repeated handwork carefully and with attention to details.
- Trail Tenders & Trail Patrol: Participate in keeping the 165-mile D&L Trail maintained and safe. Trail Tenders maintain the D&L Trail through clean-ups, brush and branch removal, and other trail activities. Trail Patrol volunteers patrol the trail on bicycles in all five counties, answering visitors’ questions and tending to their needs, and also looking for fallen trees, erosion and other trail maintenance issues.
- Immersion Days Field Trips and Freemansburg Canal Education Center Educators: Teach the history of the Corridor to students who attend field trips at in Hugh Moore Park and the Freemansburg Canal Education Center.
- Get Your Tail on the Trail Program: Join Get Your Tail on the Trail, a community based initiative geared to promoting outdoor activities in a family fun environment. Help with events, prizes, challenges, and encouraging others to get outdoors.
- Special Events, Social Activities, and Annual D&L Events: The D&L holds many events and activities throughout the year that are very successful, thanks to the help from volunteers. Help at our Heritage Half Marathon, Haunted Hugh Moore Park, dinner auctions, partner luncheons and receptions, 5ks, biking events, and more!
- Eagle Scout Projects: There are a variety of projects available at the National Canal Museum in Hugh Moore Park and along the D&L Trail.
- D&L Ambassadors: This is a public outreach volunteer opportunity. D&L Ambassadors represent the D&L at community events and at trailheads along the D&L Trail. This is a flexible opportunity and volunteers get to choose the dates and locations that they would like to volunteer. D&L Ambassadors are required to attend one training session.