To see what a difference dedicated volunteers can make, head to Freemansburg. Members of the Old Freemansburg Association (OFA) reclaimed their portion of Lehigh Canal from overgrowth and debris, and restored the towpath (D&L Trail). The Borough of Freemansburg owns a 1.5-mile section of the Lehigh Canal and towpath, and the OFA spearheaded efforts to protect and restore the 1829 Locktender’s House, mule barn, Lock No. 44, gristmill, and coal yard. Volunteers reconstructed the barn using canal era tools and equipment–part of the reason it took 10 years to complete the project. The multi-functional building now hosts weddings, educational sessions and interpretative demonstrations.
Freemansburg is a classic example of a canal town, with houses and other structures built up against the waterway that was the village’s lifeblood in the 1800s.
There’s plenty of parking available at the D&L Trail access area off Lockhouse Road near Nancy Run Creek (just off Main Street).