Named for Robert Morris, financier of the American Revolution, the town of Morrisville is located at the falls of the Delaware River across from Trenton. The town has strong economical and historical ties to both Trenton and Philadelphia.
One-half mile from the Falls of the Delaware River, nobleman Thomas Barclay’s 1765 Georgian mansion known as Summerseat once served as Washington’s headquarters. Declaration of Independence and Constitution signers Robert Morris (“Financier of the Revolution”) and George Clymer were subsequent owners of this National Historic Site.
The home of William Penn, known as Pennsbury Manor, was lost to posterity through neglect; but has been restored. Painstaking research went into its restoration, and today the prim-fronted, three-storied, brick manor-house, rebuilt on the original foundations, stands once more on the point of land formed by the Delaware River between Morrisville and Bristol.
At this southern end of the D&L Trail, the canal departs from its course paralleling the river and heads to Bristol.