Lend us a hand! There are lots of ways you can help.
Sign up to become a volunteer today using this sign up form. Or become D&L Ambassador! Our ambassadors are an extension of our D&L team who can lead projects, speak out in the community about our mission, answer questions, and help us enhance and protect the treasures of the D&L Trail and the Corridor region. Sign up for our training being held from Feb. 2 – May 9, 2019 using the 2019 D&L Ambassador Application form.
Volunteers are the strength of the D&L, doing everything from maintaining the trails to greeting visitors at the Canal Museum. Volunteers help us define our community-based mission while allowing them to showcase their talents. Our dedicated volunteers are an essential part in the D&L accomplishments and completion of projects to preserve our local history, which would otherwise not be possible.
Opportunities during business hours (9am – 4pm) at D&L Offices and National Canal Museum:
- Organize library area on second floor of National Canal Museum
- Sorting and cleaning out old files, shredding old files
- Sorting items in the museum archives, creating inventory lists, photocopying and filing
Opportunities with flexible hours to be completed on volunteers’ schedule:
- Trail Tenders & Trail Patrol: Participate in keeping the 165-mile D&L Trail maintained and safe. Trail Tenders maintain the D&L Trail through clean-ups, brush and branch removal and other trail activities through public events April through November. Trail Patrol volunteers serve as ambassadors for the trail. Volunteers patrol the trail on bicycle or foot at least twice a month April through October in all five counties, answering visitors’ questions and reporting back about fallen trees, erosion, and trail maintenance issues.
- Trail Friendly Business Volunteer: Develop a list of relevant businesses and distribute brochures and trail maps to those locations during June-July.
- Gardeners to work in the heirloom garden at Freemansburg Canal Education Center, ongoing and completed on volunteers’ own schedule.
- Lehigh Valley Greenways: Create 2-page summary pdf document for 2005-2012 mini-grants for display on the Lehigh Valley Greenways website, and update master mini-grant spreadsheet. Will need initial meeting then task can be completed in office or at home.
- Community Calendar: Update online community calendars to list D&L and National Canal Museum events, can be completed from home and on volunteer’s own schedule.
Opportunities coordinated around specific events or dates:
- National Canal Museum Docents: Enthusiastic, curious people who inspire visitors to enjoy our local history and exploring the wonders of science around them. These volunteers should be comfortable speaking with individuals and groups and be able to work on the exhibit floor for up to four consecutive hours.
- Immersion Days Volunteers: Starting on April 22, for seven weeks of Immersion Days field trips, we need enthusiastic, curious people who inspire young people to enjoy our local history and exploring the wonders of science around them.
- Della Mascot: Serving as Della the Mule mascot at designated events, looking for a group of interested volunteers to contact when an event is scheduled.
- D&L Ambassadors: Our ambassadors are an extension of our D&L team who can lead projects, speak out in the community about our mission, answer questions, and help us enhance and protect the treasures of the D&L Trail and the Corridor region.
- Tail on the Trail Ambassadors to promote the free community health and trail program at community events, shopping centers, public venues throughout the year.
- Field Trip Docents: Freemansburg Canal Education Center field trip docents during business hours the first three weeks of October. We provide training for each field trip two weeks prior. Monday through Friday is ideal but willing to take volunteers that are only available for a few weekdays.
- Maintenance workers to join an existing volunteer group and help with upkeep of Josiah White II canal boat.
For more information and questions, please contact Kelly Prentice at 610-923-3548 x224 or [email protected].