Lend us a hand! There are lots of ways you can help.
Volunteers are the strength of the D&L, doing everything from maintaining the trails to greeting visitors at the Canal Museum. Volunteers help us define our community-based mission while allowing them to showcase their talents. Our dedicated volunteers are an essential part in the D&L accomplishments and completion of projects to preserve our local history, which would otherwise not be possible.
- Trail Tenders & Trail Patrol: Participate in keeping the 165-mile D&L Trail maintained and safe. Trail Tenders maintain the D&L Trail through clean-ups, brush and branch removal and other trail activities through public events April through November. Trail Patrol volunteers serve as ambassadors for the trail. Volunteers patrol the trail on bicycle or foot at least twice a month April through October in all five counties, answering visitors’ questions and reporting back about fallen trees, erosion, and trail maintenance issues.
- National Canal Museum: The National Canal Museum is seeking friendly, enthusiastic volunteers (age 16+) to serve in various volunteer roles, including museum docents and field trip educators. These volunteers help us provide positive, personalized and memorable experiences to museum visitors.
- Gardeners: The National Canal Museum is seeking volunteers with green thumbs to help plant and maintain gardens and planters throughout Hugh Moore Park in Easton (April-October). Hours are flexible based on the volunteers’ availability. All tools and materials are provided.
- D&L Ambassadors: Our ambassadors are an extension of our D&L team who can lead projects, speak out in the community about our mission, answer questions, and help us enhance and protect the treasures of the D&L Trail and the Corridor region.
- Maintenance workers to join an existing volunteer group and help with upkeep of Josiah White II canal boat.
- Office Volunteers: Office volunteers provide high level assistance to staff members based on their personal skills and interests. The D&L has had volunteers work on everything from archive assistance to grant writing, photography and more.
For more information and questions, please contact our Community Engagement Manager by email at [email protected].
Anyone can volunteer for the variety of opportunities listed below. To start, fill out our volunteer interest form. From here, you’ll be added to our volunteer list and be contacted by a staff member with relevant opportunities.
Become a D&L Volunteer Today!